Steps in the Research Cycle
A step-by-step guide for doing effective research:
· What is the problem to be solved?
· What types of information are needed to solve the problem?
· What are the possible sources of information?
· Which are the best of all the possibilities?
Location and Access
· Where are these sources?
· Where is the information in each source?
Use of Information
· What information does the source provide?
· How can you extract the information you need?
· How does the information from all the sources fit together?
· How is the information best presented?
· Was the information problem solved?
· If the problem had to be solved again, what would you do differently?
With permission from Michael B. Eisenberg and Robert E. Berkowitz, The Big6 Model. Big6 website http://www.big6.com
Last Modified on September 8, 2008