Early Entrance for Kindergarten (EEK)
The Early Entrance for Kindergarten (EEK) program caters to children whose 5th birthday falls between September 1 and October 31, providing an opportunity for these young learners to start kindergarten early if they demonstrate the necessary social, emotional, and academic readiness. The EEK process includes an online screening and an in-person evaluation for selected applicants, ensuring a comprehensive assessment of each child's readiness. Parents contribute to this evaluation by completing a detailed questionnaire about their child's development and providing a reference from a non-family member familiar with the child's abilities, thereby ensuring a supportive start for those ready to embrace the challenges and excitement of kindergarten ahead of the standard school age.
Procedures & Information At a Glance
- Early entrance for Kindergarten (EEK) is for children whose 5th birthday falls between September 1 and October 31.
- An online screening for applicants will be followed by an in-person evaluation for a small number of applicants.
- Timeline and more information can be found in the FAQ.
- If your child moves on to in-person evaluation, there will be a processing fee of $75.00, collected at the time of the in-person evaluation. For families that qualify for reduced fee based on family income, the processing fee is reduced to $15.00.
- To begin the EEK assessment process, parents/guardians will be asked to:
- Complete a questionnaire based upon their observations of their child's social-emotional and developmental readiness for kindergarten.
- Provide the name and contact information for your child's preschool/daycare teacher, or other non-family member who has enough information about your child to provide a letter of reference or recommendation. Caregivers will be asked to complete an online questionnaire based upon their observations of your child's social-emotional and academic readiness for kindergarten.
- Once the full application and fee has been received, parents/guardians will be sent a confirmation email with more details about the questionnaire within a week.
- Who is eligible to participate in early entrance evaluation in the spring?
- How should I decide whether to apply for early entrance to kindergarten?
- What is the evaluation process for determining student eligibility for early entrance into kindergarten?
- How do I apply for an early entrance to kindergarten evaluation for my child?
- How will I know you have received my application?
- What if my child doesn’t meet Early Entrance requirements, and I do not believe the decision represents my child’s kindergarten readiness skills?