North Kitsap Online Academy (NKOA) / PAL
North Kitsap Online Academy (NKOA) is a forward-thinking educational institution that provides a robust, fully digital curriculum to students from kindergarten through the 12th grade. As a part of the North Kitsap School District, NKOA partners with Stride Learning Solutions to offer comprehensive online coursework, supplemented with skill-building support, interventions, optional synchronous instructional sessions, and round-the-clock academic assistance. NKOA fosters an educational environment designed to inspire self-motivation, organization, and independent learning, all supported by mentor teachers who guide students and parents through operational aspects of the online platform. In addition to delivering top-notch education, NKOA also ensures that every student has access to a NKSD Mentor Teacher who offers academic progress monitoring, coaching, encouragement, and extensive communication.
At NKOA, flexibility is a cornerstone. Understanding the different situations and needs of students, the academy provides flexible scheduling to accommodate various learning preferences, work schedules, and family situations. The academy takes pride in the active roles played by students, their families, and their mentor teachers in the learning process. Families act as learning coaches, assisting with daily lessons and student-teacher communication, while students are expected to complete daily lessons, attend meetings, and demonstrate progress in their studies. Meanwhile, mentor teachers guide the academic journey by identifying state requirements, developing learning plans, implementing intervention strategies, and documenting various aspects of the learning process. NKOA, thereby, offers a modern, flexible, and holistic approach to learning, preparing students for the future in a supportive, student-centered environment.
To thrive at NKOA/PAL, cultivate self-motivation, organization, tech-savviness, and follow the systematic online learning routine.
NKOA/PAL attendance requires weekly student-teacher communication, regular progress, and adherence to a Written Student Learning Plan (WSLP).
- What was the original purpose of the Parent Assisted Learning Program (PAL), and how has it evolved into the current NKOA/PAL system over the past 15 years?
- What is the role of a Mentor Teacher in the North Kitsap Online Academy, and why are weekly meetings between the Mentor Teacher and the home-based instruction family required by law?
- What determines the number of hours a student needs to dedicate to schoolwork in the NKOA/PAL program, and what is the potential range of hours per week?
- What is the range of CORE classes offered to NKOA/PAL students, and how do these compare to those available in a traditional school setting?
- What does it mean when a student is referred to as a "shared student" within the context of NKOA/PAL and North Kitsap School District (NKSD)?
- What opportunities exist for high school students to earn school credit through their employment in the NKOA/PAL program?
- What support services and resources are provided to students by NKOA/PAL?
- What is the graduation process for NKOA/PAL students and how do they participate in commencement ceremonies?